Condition of housing in Bundelkhand region of UP and MP by Dr. Sarda Prasad
Condition of housing in Bundelkhand region of UP and MP by
Dr. Sarda Prasad
- The electricity, road and water (Bijli, Sadak, and Pani - BSP )
determined the socio- economic status of a geographic region.
- Housing conditions (good, livable and dilapidated) and household
amenities (especially electricity and water supply) indicates the
socio-economic status of the individual households.
- The Bundelkhand (BKD) region is one of the poorest regions of UP and MP
as it is characterized by lack of natural resource and unsuitable for
- BKD region comprises of 13 districts of which 7 districts are from UP.
Statistics shows that Chhattarpur district of MP and Chitrakoot/Banda
district of UP are poorest in terms of natural resources and human
- Census of India (2001) depicts the highest rural out-migrants were from
Banda and Chhattarpur district of UP and MP respectively.
- Unfortunately people of this region (high and low castes) are interested
on expenditure to buy Gun and gambling instead of spend on education of
- In daily Newspapers and Doordarshan are showing the fate and
conditions of this region.
- During the survey of my Ph. D (May to September 2011), we have
observed a lot of the hidden facts and reality what we could not even
imagine about the households conditions, economic status and
- It is facts and reality that still this regions believe in un-
touchability and visible casteism. This phenomenon creates dacoity, robbers
and other social evils (Eg. Dacoit –Dadua) and indirectly affects housing
conditions and house hold amenities.
- These are the justification of the study.
- We have used Household data from Census 2011 and some primary data.
By: Dr. Sarda Prasad