Tourist Guide of Kalinjar, Bundelkhand
280 km. from Jhansi, the Kalinjar town and the Fort, which have
had strategic importance since the earliest of times, are located in the ancient
land of Jejakbhukti which was an integral part of Bundelkhand. The Fort, a
stronghold of the Chandelas from the 9th to the 15th century, remained an
invincible, prized for its location, right upto the time of the Mughals.
During its eventful career, the Fort was subject to numerous
wars. Mohammed Ghazni, Qutb-ud-din Aibak and Humayun, all invaded this
stronghold of the Chandelas. It was Akbar who finally conquered it in 1569 and
bequeathed it as a gift to Birbal, one of his "nine jewels". From Birbal it went
to Chhatrasal, the legendary Bundela warrior and then to Hardev Shah of Panna.
In 1812 it fell into the hands of the British. This Fort with its romantic and
extraordinary history is an excellent destination to visit,
The township of Kalinjar was once enclosed with in a high
rampart wall with four gateways, only three of which exist today. These are
popularly known as the Kamta Dwar, Panna Dwar and Rewa Dwar.
How to get there:
Air: Nearest airport are Khajuraho (M.P.) - 130 km.
and Allahabad (Bamrauli) - 210 km.
Rail: The nearest railway station are Atarra - 38 km.
and Banda - 56 km.
Road: Kalinjar is linked by road to the important
What to see:
Situated on a high hillock in the Vindhyan ranges, the fort was
approached through seven gates or check posts before entering the main fort
area. These splendid gateways are the Alam Darwaza or Almgir Darwaza, Ganesh
Dwar, Chandi or Chauburji Darwaza, Budha Bhadra Drwaza, Hanuman Dwar, Lal
Darwaza and Bara Darwaza. Within the fort are the remains of two palaces, the
Raja Mahal and the Rani Mahal.
Among places of interest witn in the main fort area are Sita Sej,
a small cave containing stone bed and pillow for use of hermits; Ptal Ganga the
reservoir cut in rock; Pandu-Kund, where water trickles from the horizontal rock
strata's crevices; Bhairon-ki-Jharia, with the colossal figur of Bhairon carved
on the rock face - more popularly known as Manduk Bhairav and Mrigdhara or
'antelope's Spring' a small pool in the inner chamber of the rampart, where
mriga figures can be seen under trickling water. Koti Tirth and the Budha-Budhai
Taal - said to possess great healing powers, are among the important pilgrim
centers at Kalinjar. Other places of interest are the Nilkanth Temple built by
Chandela ruler Parmardideva with the rock-cut Swarga Rohan Kund, where in a
niche stands the colossal 18 armed, 17 feet broad and 24 feet high figure of
Kal-Bhairav, omamented with a garlend of skulls. The Vankhandeshwar Mahadev
Temple located at the source of the Shivasari Ganga is also well worth a visit.
Numerous fine pieces of sculptures, spread all over the front
area, can be seen here.